onsdag den 6. februar 2013

Challenging traditions around FGM

Safaa is 23 years old and lives in a slum area in Egypt with her husband, two sons and a daughter.

Growing up, Safaa’s family was very poor and, like other girls in her community, she married young.

"Once I got married, I got so busy with my children, and I forgot about myself and my rights. Even if I was very young, I started to behave like my mother and like many other women in my community, replicating behaviours and traditions that were very hard on girls. Even traditions that I had criticised before like female genital mutilation, I considered for my daughter," she says.

However Safaa's attitude changed when her neighbour invited her to a women's awareness support group. 

Læs mere her!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar