tirsdag den 26. februar 2013

Case study microfinance: Lifting thousands out of poverty

Plan-supported microfinance schemes are giving some of the poorest people around the world the chance to access savings and credit services, invest in their businesses and break out of the cycle of poverty. 


The schemes particularly target poor women living in rural areas, who typically would not be able to borrow money from commercial banks - so are forced to borrow from loan sharks who charge exhorbitant rates of interest. 
"I felt humiliated because I couldn't look after my children," says young mother Milene. "Now that I'm in the microfinance group I am sending my children to school. I've just bought a piece of land and I think I'll be able to buy a house thanks to the microfinance group." 
Læs mere og se en video her!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar