fredag den 7. marts 2014

Grandmothers inspiring change for children

This year’s International Women’s Day on March 8 takes the theme of Inspiring Change. In Couffo, Benin, a group of grandmothers is supporting and advising young mothers to help prevent malnutrition in children under five. “I’m 50 years old, I’ve six children and two grandsons,” says Victorine Mousouko. “My children listen to me and follow my advice, particularly about bringing up their own children. They are happy to leave them with me all the time,” she adds. Victorine lives in Hanionhoué village, in the south-western district of Couffo in Benin. Hanionhoué is among many villages in Benin that have very high rates of malnutrition, particularly among children under five. Victorine is part of a group of grandmothers who support and advise young mothers to prevent and treat malnutrition. They use locally available foods and traditional recipes to prepare meals which are cheap but also nutritious.

Læs mere her!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar