fredag den 14. marts 2014

Gender-based Violence in Malawi



Having experienced the violence young women are subjected to first-hand in Malawi, Abikanile, 17, is passionate about speaking up for girls’ rights – and she’s not afraid to let the world know what it’s like to be a young woman in her country.

“I was nearly raped by seven boys after I finished playing netball,” reveals 17-year-old Abikanile from Malawi. “Thankfully, I escaped as I used the self-defense moves I learned from my Girl Guides Club.”

Sexual violence is a major issue in Malawi, particularly for young women. “I am not the only one who was nearly raped,” says Abikanile. “We hear of so many girls being raped by their fathers, cousins, and other men, only to discover that the police didn’t do anything about it when it was reported.”
Læs mere her!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar