tirsdag den 5. marts 2013

Child marriage in conflict

“I wanted to become a doctor, but since we left home in Timbuktu, I don’t think I will be able to go back to school. I hear my family talking about finding me a husband as soon as possible. That’s not what I want.” 

14 year old Aicha, now living in Segou in southern Mali, is worried about her future. Like other girls caught up in conflict and other disasters, she is at increased risk of early marriage. Although the reasons behind child marriage are complex, poverty and fear of poverty often drive families into making this choice for their daughters – and poverty is often a consequence for families during conflict or following disasters. By pushing girls into marriage, parents have one less mouth to feed – and they may receive payment. 

Læs mere her!

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar