tirsdag den 28. august 2012

Spotlight på Barouéli, Mali: Tre historier, tre perspektiver del 1

Thanks to generous support from our sponsors, Plan began sponsoring the community of Barouéli. Together, we’re hoping to transform the lives of more than 113,000 people, including over 62,000 children, by working with community members to improve their quality of life and to create a self-sufficient community.
Six months into the community sponsorship, we caught up with some of the families living in Barouéli to see how their perspectives have changed since Plan entered the community:


1. Meet Drissa Diarra, 38, husband of Kokoh Coulibaly, 30, and father to five children ages 13 to 9 months.

What has life been like since Plan began helping your community six months ago?

“In the beginning, I was skeptic because we have seen many people coming to collect data and promising things but never show up again. Then, you came for the second meeting to explain what our roles were and we discussed preschool and primary education. I started to think Plan must be a serious organization. Now I am confident you can help our community move forward.”

What changes have occurred in your own life in the last six months?
“I now understand that preschool is important and as soon as the centre will be open, I will send my last daughter, Oumou. Kokoh, my wife, is excited about this too.”
What is Plan teaching you?
“Plan is teaching us to enroll all children at school, boys and girls. We learned that education is the only way to end poverty and this is most important thing for me because if I was literate enough, I would be able to get more benefits from my field now.”

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar