lørdag den 3. november 2012

Helping three girls build their bright futures: Annet


When Annet’s father died, her world crumbled. So did her long-time dream of attending and graduating university.
“I was forced to drop out of school because my mother could not afford to pay my school fees,” explained 22-year-old Annet, living in Uganda.
“At times, my siblings and I slept on empty stomachs because there was no money to buy food and at one time, we were thrown out of our rented house because we had defaulted on paying rent.”
But when Annet enrolled in a Plan-supported vocational training project, a new dream began to form. The project supports thousands of young Ugandan women in situations similar to Annet’s, helping them discover their dreams and develop their own economic security.
“When I enrolled in the course, I was very happy. I told myself I will never be poor again,” said Annet, who is now employed as a hairstylist, earning $11 per day. In a country where most Ugandan’s survive on less than a dollar per day, Annet’s daily earnings have changed her life.
The vocational training project in Uganda supports young women, generally school drop-outs, ages 15 to 22. The students gain vocational skills in tailoring, hairdressing, art design, shoe making, or catering, and they learn how to use computers.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar